The making of an “Om Nom” / Version 1

Crummy weather equals craft project. This time we decided to make the character “On Nom” from the popular iPad game “Cut the Rope.” Paper-mache style. With that…

…Chloe and I nabbed newspaper ($1) and a 15″ beach ball ($5) from the grocery store. Oddly…we found paper plates, party cups, and a couple oatmeal containers (which we quickly dismissed) in the cabinets jus’ ready to go. Strange. Anyhow. Next we…

…hot glued the cups to the beach ball to form the legs.

Here’s the front and back legs in place.

Next we used cardboard to create the lip and teeth.

The cardboard mouth was hot glued into place plus the paper plate for eyes.

For the antenna we twisted-up a plastic, shopping bag and used a twist tie to help form the narrow stem.

Here’s all the pieces glued into place.

Next. The paper -mache. A simply flour and water mixture did the trick.

Here’s the results of a single layer. I’d recommend 3 layers (to those with patience).

The local hardware store didn’t have a suitable spray paint color so the clerk offered us a very affordable sample of Benjamin Moore ($6). “Spring Meadow Green” was close enough.

Oh, yeah. Soft brush ($4). Important to have.

A single coat was all it took plus alil’ white acrylic paint.

Dig the surgical precision behind the application of black acrylic paint using a Winsor & Newton “Spectre Gold II 101″ brush comprised of a Sable/Synthetic blend. Which helped place the finishing touches on a…

…biggo “Om nom” -who was photographed in the elevators, hallway, living room floor, and finally here…in the office chair. Blam! :)

Graphic Recording + 2012 SXSW

Looks like I’ll be doing the graphic recording for the 2012 SXSW Interactive Conference. Slight catch. Their goal is to do it on an iPad 3 using SketchBook Pro by Autodesk. So, yeah. Challenge.

To prepare I’ve been practicing everyday on my iPad (1st gen.) while also trying to narrow-down which stylus performs best. There’s also a number of technical requirements to consider (e.g. res, delivery, formats). But most importantly it’s all about speed. And at the moment I’m 5-6 times faster with a Sharpie. So training includes listening to random conversations in the office, or bits of NPR, and scribing like crazy. The following is from a recent internal meeting…

…and it took 12-minutes to generate. That’s way, way too long. And here’s another from a phone conversation where I scribed low-fidelity to act as instructions for a higher fidelity rendering later…

…which took nearly 15-minutes. That’s 3 times longer than it should take. Granted, I used various features within the app for both (layers, multiple pens, and an eraser effect to generate a gradient feel). But still. I gotta learn to dance faster. Lastly, I have a glove I’m about to test to see if I can minimize the number of false touches from my palm touching the screen. And now that…is gonna make things even more interesting. Stay tuned (and maybe wish me luck too).

A Walker w/Paper Prototypes

…bombed on a few storyboards the other day. But rather than pitch ‘em I hi-jacked this scene and turned the male character into a walker. Which, honestly, is what I should do to any scene I botch. -Seriously. And now that I really think about it I might have to “accidentally” miss the mark again soon. Stay tuned.

Pulled Image + Pooled Words

The girl on the right (w/arms crossed) was a pulled “casting image.”It was little more than loose lines when I began to crumble it -but stopped. “Nah, trash it” I thought -but stopped again. And I’m still not sure why. Cause it was bad. Bad shape, rhythm, proportions. Everything. So rather than pitch-it I sat it aside as a type of “try’n fix this someday” challenge. That was, oh, over 2 months ago.

Time passed, lines were tweaked, and she ultimately turned into the above. Then I sat the page aside again. Later, when I needed to practice hair, I reach for the same sheet and created the gal on the left. More time passed, things were added, and thus another practice sheet is born. As for the words, they are a collection of sayings from countless, random sites. Dig.

Typography Play: Being A Vampire Is _ _in.


(Not an original play on words but an original approach through the use of the “vampire” theme.)

Hidden Logos: Light Snow + SUV

Developing logos has never been a strength of mine. Ever. Finding them in obscure places might be though. Or rather, finding logos that lack a purpose/client would be more accurate. Anyhow, one late evening I noticed a lone SUV leaving the parking ramp. Its tires left a unique path in the snow-covered pavement. So I grabbed my phone and shot this…

…which I later opened in Photoshop (“PS”) to adjust the perspective…

…so it would be easy to trace in Illustrator.. Or rather, easier to trace in Illustrator. So after a few paths were dropped into place I converted them to artistic strokes. That step landed the image here.

Note the brush type. This is a standard stroke, inflated to 50 pts., with the brush”flat” selected from the “calligraphic” library. At this stage it’s all about playing around. Like this.

The above is the results of delivering a touch of the “simplify” feature from the “objects / paths” menu. So, there. A pretend-logo derived from SUV tracks in the snow. Enjoy.

© 2014 Umami Design Studio
Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: